Monday, June 22, 2015

Orphan Train

Orphan Train to me wasn't all it is cracked up to be. First off having multiple characters that overlap and have similarities is a great idea, but the shifting narratives and perspective really jumbled my mind. It was difficult to decipher and remember where I had left off. Secondly the book was too slow, the action never really picked up making it difficult for me to get into the story. The problems with slower moving books for myself is it makes it very challenging to have motivation to keep reading. It makes it very very hard to continue and power thru the book.  What I did enjoy was finding out how much effort she actually put into the book, really nailing down her research and making sure the story as a whole was factual. I also enjoyed living the experience of these trains with he girls and getting a feeling for just how difficult life back then really was. The book gives yo very good inklings to just how hard and scary it was. Being anywhere from 1-12 and getting put on a train to live with a new family no thank you. I did not enjoy this book, rather I enjoyed the thought and history the book brought, and all the dedication the author put into this. I would love to read some of her other work because unfortunately Orphan train just was not for me.  The book lacked structure and was all over the place jumping from person to person, and characters receiving new names. I hope her next book impresses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment